Over the years, we’ve seen the rise of all types of clothing brands, from your old-school brands to the big fashion names of today. In fact, it’s hard to imagine a clothing world without designer clothing brands. While many of these brands have been around for a long time, there are still those who have been around for decades. Here, we have listed the top 10 clothing brands the world has ever known.
As the largest economy in the world, the United States has the largest influence over global fashion trends. The nation’s influence can be attributed to its large population, high disposable income, and history of being a leader in innovation. The United States has the largest number of clothing brands, making up the best of the world’s top 100 clothing brands by revenue.
List of the Top Ten Most Popular Clothing Brands in the World
1. Nike (United States)
Nike, Inc originally known as Blue Ribbon Sports, is a multinational corporation that sells apparel, footwear worldwide. The American multinational corporation, Nike brand is one of the most recognized in the world.
The top clothing brand in the United States, Nike products have been known to be stylish and high quality. Though the company started out making basketball shoes. Nike products have been branched out into all different products. From shoes to clothing, to sports equipment, Nike is the world’s largest manufacturer and supplier of sports equipment.
- How many stores Nike has: 1096 stores
- Founded: 25 January 1964 by Bill Bowerman and Phil Knight
- Headquarter: Beaverton, Oregon, United States
- Nike Total Revenue: $37.40 billion as of 2020
- Number of Employees of Nike: 75,400 as of 2020
- Website: nike.com
2. Adidas (Germany)
Adidas is a multinational corporation, founded on 18 August 1949 and headquarter is in Herzogenaurach, Germany. It is the second-largest sportswear manufacturer in the world.
Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory was the former name of Adidas, founded in July 1924 by Adolf Dassler. Following a family feud at the Gebrüder Dassler Schuhfabrik (Dassler Brothers Shoe Factory) between him and his older brother Rudolf. Rudolf had earlier established Puma, which quickly became the business rival of Adidas.
- How many stores Adidas has: 2456 stores
- Founded: 18 August 1949 by Adolf Dassler
- Headquarters: Herzogenaurach, Germany
- Adidas Total Revenue: $26.477 billion as of 2019
- Number of Employees of Adidas: 57,016 as of 2018
- Website: adidas-group.com
3. H&M (Sweden)
Founded by Erling Persson in 1947, H&M is a leading global fashion retail company. The group operates in 75 countries and is known for its commitment to sustainability and innovation. H&M has a wide range of collections available every year, the latest fashion trends, and a broad assortment of quality products at the best prices.
The Swedish clothing company, H&M, and its associated brands operate over 5,000 stores and employ around 126,376 people as of 2019.
- How many stores H&M has: 5076 stores
- Founded: 1947 by Erling Persson
- Headquarters: Stockholm, Sweden
- H&M Total Revenue: $20.2 billion as of 2020
- Number of Employees of H&M: 126,376 as of 2019
- Website: hm.com
4. GUCCI (Italy)
The GUCCI clothing brand was founded in 1921 in Florence, Italy. The Italian fashion house, GUCCI was founded by Guccio Gucci. The business began when Guccio Gucci found inspiration for his craft in the Renaissance.
Gucci is the world’s most important luxury brand. Gucci is renowned for its innovations, timeless designs, and the highest quality materials. Gucci is also known for its range of prestigious fragrances.
- How many stores GUCCI has: 487 stores
- Founded: 1921 by Guccio Gucci
- Headquarters: Florence, Tuscany, Italy
- GUCCI Total Revenue: $11.28 billion as of 2019
- Number of Employees of GUCCI: 17,157 as of 2019
- Website: gucci.com
5. Zara (Spain)
ZARA was founded in 1975 by Amancio Ortega and Rosalía Mera. One of the top 5 most popular clothing brands, Zara is headquartered in Arteixo, Spain.
The top Spanish clothing brand, Zara is a leading international fashion retailer brand with a creative and innovative style that is always a step ahead of the latest trends. Through a network of more than 2270 stores in more than 96 countries, Zara today is the world’s largest fashion group.
- How many stores Zara has: In 96 countries, 2270 stores
- Founded: 1975 by Amancio Ortega
- Headquarters: Arteixo, Spain
- Zara Total Revenue: $16.56 billion
- Number of Employees of Zara: 75,000
- Website: zara.com
6. Uniqlo (Japan)
Uniqlo commands the top spot for the third year running. The company is one of the largest clothing retailers in the world, and also the largest in Japan. It is no surprise that Uniqlo has executed well in its home country. The retailer has also opened stores in the US, Europe, Australia, and elsewhere, in more than 18 countries. With its powerful brand, Uniqlo is well-positioned to become an international giant.
Owned by Fast Retailing Co. Ltd, the top Japanese clothing brand, UNIQLO is a leading brand in the world offering a wide variety of apparel, quality, daily clothing for men, women, kids, and babies.
- How many stores UNIQLO has: 1439 stores
- Founded: March 1949 by Tadashi Yanai
- Headquarters: Midtown Tower, Akasaka, Tokyo, Japan
- Uniqlo Total Revenue: $13 billion by 2020
- Number of Employees of Uniqlo: 30,000
- Website: uniqlo.com
7. Chanel (France)
For more than 100 years, Chanel has stood for classic, timeless elegance. Today, the iconic symbol of the double-C logo has been recognized the world over. Chanel has become synonymous with effortless sophistication, luxury, glamour, and feminine style. The house’s trademark tweed fabrics, clean lines, and modern cuts have made Chanel timeless.
A French luxury fashion house, Chanel is now a popular luxury fashion brand in the world. It was founded in 1909 by French couturier Gabrielle Bonheur “Coco” Chanel.
- How many stores Chanel has: 310 stores
- Founded: 1909 by Coco Chanel
- Headquarters: Neuilly-sur-Seine, France
- Chanel Total Revenue: $10.1 billion as of 2020
- Number of Employees of Chanel: 20,000
- Website: chanel.com
8. Lululemon Athletica (Canada)
Lululemon Athletica was born out of founder Chip Wilson’s frustration with the state of available athletic clothing for women. He believed there was a better way to make clothing that allowed women to be strong, powerful, and feminine.
Top Canada clothing brand, retailer, Lululemon Athletica is a chain of retail stores that sells yoga-inspired athletic wear for men and women. The stores are based in Vancouver, Canada, and the company was founded in 1998.
- How many stores Lululemon Athletica has: 491 stores
- Founded: 1998 by Chip Wilson
- Headquarters: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Lululemon Total Revenue: $4.4 billion
- Number of Employees of Lululemon: 19,000
- Website: shop.lululemon.com
9. Burberry (England)
Burberry is one of the most iconic British luxury fashion brands. Founded in 1856 by Thomas Burberry, Burberry has become one of the most famous internationally recognized names in the luxury market.
When you buy Burberry clothing, you are buying quality and you are buying style. But you are also buying tradition, and history, and heritage. It sells clothing, fragrances, and accessories. The brand’s signature check pattern has become one of its most prominent designs.
- How many stores Burberry has: 421 stores
- Founded: 1856 by Thomas Burberry
- Headquarters: Horseferry Road, Westminster, London, England
- Burberry Total Revenue: $3.6 billion (£2.63 billion)
- Number of Employees of Burberry: 9,892
- Website: burberry.com
10. Anta Sports (China)
ANTA Sports is one of the best-known Chinese sportswear companies, originally founded in the year 1991. Anta is the world’s third-largest sportswear company. The multinational corporation has made great strides in its field, and it now makes a wide range of sportswear for many sports.
The Chinese sporting goods company specializing in shoes and sporting apparel. Anta International has worldwide more than 25 sub-brands, like Anta, Fila, Descente, Kolon Sport, Arc’teryx, Amer Sports.
- How many stores Anta Sports has: 10,197 stores
- Founded: 1991 by Ding Shizhong
- Headquarters: Jinjiang, Fujian, China
- Anta Sports Total Revenue: $2.07 billion
- Number of Employees of Anta Sports: 41,000
- Website: anta.com
Frequently Asked Questions of Top Most Popular Clothing Brands
According to the latest report on the global clothing brands, the most popular clothing brand in 2020 was Nike.
The world’s no. 1 clothing brands are Nike, Adidas, H&M, Lacoste, Zara.
There are many clothing brands that are in style 2021. To be in style in 2021, you should wear clothing from brands like Nili Lotan, DRAE, Tiffany & Co, Armani, Brother Vellies, Paris Georgia, and Chopova Lowena.
Zara is a fashion clothing store that designs and sells high-quality clothing inspired by the latest fashion trends. The company’s clothes are often considered a luxury due to their brand.
Nike is considered the richest clothing brand. The company has a net income of $2.54 billion in 2020.
Currently, the hottest clothing brands include Gucci, Nike, Dior.
Research shows that “Nike” is the top clothing brand in the United States, even in the world. Their total brand value is $37.4 billion as of 2020.
In conclusion, the brands mentioned above are worth investing in. You should make sure to know what the best clothing brands are and where they sell their products.